is Wayne Rooney finished?

All general football chat.
Magic_Red_Army

is Wayne Rooney finished?

Postby Magic_Red_Army » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:51 pm

just posting this question for everyone. Obviously Im talking finished as in top tier player, I reckon he could still do a job for leyton orient :lol:

people keep talking about "form" to excuse his poor performances but the fact is hes been average for along, long time. His change of positions, the taming of his outbursts, have probably contributed to his downfall, but reality is, he cannot longer lead united to titles. I was going to mention england too, but not even mexico's 86 maradona could give england a title :P

anyway, whats his best position noawadays? can he still be considered world class, or even would you say is he amongst the top 10 in the PL? would you prefer him over any of these players?

hazard
silva
aguero
costa
fabregas
sterling
sanchez
coutinho
payet (yes, I think hes already one of the best in the league)
kane (dont think hes top 10 quality but he has potential and thats somehting you dont feel rooney has anymore)

Magic_Red_Army

Re: is Wayne Rooney finished?

Postby Magic_Red_Army » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:14 pm

since thread created two games two goals

coincidence? I think not.

DaBoss
Site Admin

Postby DaBoss » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:57 am

are antonio valencia and ashley young finished ?

Magic_Red_Army

Postby Magic_Red_Army » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 am

id say so, theres no way either of them perform well tomorrow, no way

joeyodonnell

Postby joeyodonnell » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 pm

lol, funny tweet: I genuinely think Valencia's last successful cross was against Wigan in a 5-0 away victory in 2010 for Rooney's goal!

yes, valencia is finished, and ashley young's resurgence under lvg is as surprising as anything i've ever seen.

rooney is more of a complicated issue .. my gut says yes

Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Surely the question is why didn't he reach the level of Ronaldo and Messi? Everything appeared to be in place in 2004 but the are rumours he lost a yard a pace when he broke his foot at the Euro's.

joeyodonnell

Postby joeyodonnell » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:56 pm

DaBoss wrote:are antonio valencia and ashley young finished ?

antonio valencia was properly tragic tonight!!

Magic_Red_Army

Postby Magic_Red_Army » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:46 am

Quatermass wrote:Surely the question is why didn't he reach the level of Ronaldo and Messi? Everything appeared to be in place in 2004 but the are rumours he lost a yard a pace when he broke his foot at the Euro's.

somehting happened after that euro, he didnt hit the highs his progression seemed to imply, but frankly Id settled for him becoming a tier below messi and ronaldo, like a falcao, silva, fabregas, ribery, but he never did reach that level either, he always was third tier, and now I really think hes done. Today his clumsiness was at show mroe than ever, when hes bad, hes appaling

Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Magic_Red_Army wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Surely the question is why didn't he reach the level of Ronaldo and Messi? Everything appeared to be in place in 2004 but the are rumours he lost a yard a pace when he broke his foot at the Euro's.

somehting happened after that euro, he didnt hit the highs his progression seemed to imply, but frankly Id settled for him becoming a tier below messi and ronaldo, like a falcao, silva, fabregas, ribery, but he never did reach that level either, he always was third tier, and now I really think hes done. Today his clumsiness was at show mroe than ever, when hes bad, hes appaling

I would be amazed if he made it to another World Cup. At club level my gut feeling is he'll see out his current contract and then play out his final days at Everton.

joeyodonnell

Postby joeyodonnell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:52 pm

i think he'll be mls bound whenever his time here is up.

and i do think for awhile he was a tier two player, unfortunately that period is long gone, and through that period he was pigeon holed out wide (and rightfullly as well) to supplement Cristiano. the 9-10 or 11-12 seasons, which i can't remember too well, he probably was a tier two player.

Return to “Pub”